Somatic Experiencing® (SE™), is a therapeutic approach for resolving trauma symptoms and relieving chronic stress. It can help increase one’s vitality and capacity to actively engage in life. Possible goals and outcomes from this approach are:
- Building capacity for body awareness, tracking sensations, and tolerating difficult emotions
- Increasing the capacity to experience more calm and ease in the body, along with access to pleasure and play
- Fostering access to internal resources and strengths
- Working to complete self-protective survival responses (fight/flight/freeze), held in the body from past traumatic events
- Experiencing the felt sense of safety and how that is very different from danger or life threat
- Addressing trauma-related symptoms, including anxiety, panic, dissociation, depression, anger/rage, shame, avoidance, insecure attachment, grief and loss, chronic stress, etc.
- Opening to healthy relationships based on mutual trust and respect